Skip to main content

Christmas 2008

Know this—I do grieve for not being there for you. Physically. I know what it's like to occupy a single bed for years and years. But I also know what it's like to share it with a sister. As much as you were not always the best sleeper, I miss that.

The purpose of this blog is to have open, honest conversations with you. And tell you things that are helpful but sometimes hard to explain.

Daddy and I became really great friends in December of 2008. That's the year Damani left for school in Cuba. It's also the year you and mommy went to the states. Daddy and I were alone for several months. To be honest, tears are surfacing as I write this—I don't know why. Daddy and I were just okay before then, we didn't talk much. There were more neutral interactions than outright great ones.

But you all left, and suddenly we were all the other had. And the house was dead silent a lot. So I went out with him more. We went to Andall's together a lot more, we went on long evening drives, sometimes we even went out to things, though I couldn't tell you specifically what those events were thinking about it now. We were forced in the car together for long periods of time. And neither of us knew how to talk to each other.

In fact, for years, we didn't know how to talk to each other really—as daughter and father. And I had a million and one quiet criticisms about our relationship.

I really didn't like that. I could tell it wasn't his ideal situation either. So he did what he knew how to do—he made me feel deeply loved. He treated me with soft drinks and nice foods and was more cheerful that Christmas than he had been in years. For other people, that may not have been enough, but for 15 year old me, the gifts made me warm up to him more.

But we'd go home and it was quiet without the three of you at home. There was very little movement in the house, and I spent a lot of time staring outside at the empty yeard when he was gone and I was home alone.

The silence was jarring at first, but he soon came to use it as an opportunity to show more of himself.

What I learned? Daddy is funny and intelligent. And he is a man that's both stubborn and humble. There are times he will prefer to hear something from a peer as with most men. But if you slow him down and use reason and logic, he will listen. We had conversations about God and family during that Christmas and subsequent months. They were unlike any conversations we'd had in the 15 years prior.

I made a decision to open up more to him and be more honest. And it worked out for me in the long-run. I think that December solidified our relationship and earned me his respect. He has changed over the years. Sure. But the same idea applies. In moments of silence, challenge him with what's on your mind. And if he's being stubborn or won't listen call him out on that bullshit.

He's not too grown to listen to his adult daughter. No matter how old he gets. You have to make the decision to talk to him. Why? Because he spent many years not saying much about important things. It's a weak muscle for him. And so he needs to be challenged and stretched to grow. Be tougher than he is in order to get to the important things he may not open up about.

Your relationship will be the better for it. But not if you back down the minute he pushes back or is impatient. Call. Him. Out (respectfully). Make him cut it out.

Don't just think weak communication between you and daddy is exclusive to ya'll's relationship. Many other relationships in your life will face a similar challenge. In fact, for years, I had a hard time opening up to people I met in school and at work, even though I saw how much good communication and vulnerability can add value to relationships.

That's why I'm glad that when I was impatient, cold, stubborn and wasn't very communicative, my roommates took the time to call me out on my bullshit. Over dinner, they respectfully asked me to open up and change my ways. I hated hearing it. I rebelled in the moment. But now I'm more communicative because I was lovingly challenged by people who are patient enough to wait for me to open up on my time.

I'll be praying for patience for you. I want you and daddy to have a better relationship that he and I did at our best. It's possible. It's good. And family is worth the extra effort.

I love you, Danielle. More than you will ever know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where It All Began

You will hold many jobs in your lifetime. Like—a lot. And each will shape you differently. Get ready. My career journey has been really weird. But I guarantee you, no one has a very consistent type of journey. I started off at NIS as a file clerk and then I was moved to this weird, stuffy office where I scanned old remittances ALL DAY LONG. And I didn’t have a smartphone back then to listen to podcasts or music or anything. It was rough. Rough enough to keep my eyes fixed to the clock on the wall throughout each workday. Plus, the office was so old and boring. Gah, I'm sure things have changed and improved, but back then, it wasn't great for a 16-year old eager to do something more meaningful. But...my coworkers took care of me. And that made an otherwise snail-paced job more tolerable. They all were overly-accommodating, but in a nice way, and included me in their inside jokes to make me feel like part of the team. I appreciate that so much, even now. Even though there wer

Uni Lyfe

I started The University of Texas at Austin (UT) in 2013 and it was after teaching in Beacon for 2 terms, plus working at KFC and Allamanda Beach Resort. And it was exhausting. And invigorating. And fricken scary. I spent most of that year taking SAT prep courses, spending hours and hours writing college essays and throwing my hard-earned money at college applications. But then it came time to start school. Honestly, Danielle, I was ready to leave home. And no, it's not just that I was bored and tired of home. I was just ready to experience something different. At home, we're siloed and boxed-in by the ocean. Out there? Outside of our shores? There are more possibilities. I mostly just wanted to experience different people and feel like I had more job opportunities when I graduated. But you don't need to leave home to have those things. That's why I'm really happy you got into SGU. I don't know what your deep motivations are for going to school. Maybe you